Friday, April 2, 2010

I can't faint - MV of the week #1

Before I say anything I just want to wish everybody a

HAPPEH EASTER!

(Would you eat this? Because I certainly wouldn't.)

Okay, so I didn't post this review on Friday like I promised, but oh well. I'm sure you all don't care, right?

Anyway, this week's MV really isn't anything new. It's actually quite similar to the first video I ever reviewed, which was a (non)Disney crossover... This one also just happens to be a crossover in that very same category, but it's even cooler than the first... so yes. I think you should all like it.

This awesome, uh-mazing and wonderful vidlet is made by a YouTube user named
SapphireOrb whom I have just subscribed to, in reason of her videos being very well made and eye-catching. This particular one is based around the characters of Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Witch Doctor, Facilier from The Princess & The Frog. The video's plot and concept is definitely a breath of fresh air, as it revolves around Esmeralda becoming Facilier's new apprentice. Her main job is to lure innocent girls into our charming witch doctor's lair by using her sirenesque (new word) dancing skills. After the girls have fallen into the trap, Facilier presents to them illusions conveying their hopes, dreams and desires. AAAND once he's finished pretending to spoil them rotten... let's just say things don't get too pretty.

Okay, so Esmeralda may be assisting dear Fac in his evil scheme (and possibly falling in love with him along the way), but she soon realises that he really isn't that much of a great guy. And what, do you ask, was the catalyst t0 her change of heart? The revelation that he is not only harming grown up women, but also children. So, the airhead pretty much accepted the fact that he was abusing women (domestic violence, people!), but then she got her panties in a knot when she discovers that he's harming children too. All the bloody same if you ask me! but my opinion is besides the point (for now). Anyway, after Esmeralda discovers the
(kind of) shocking truth about Facilier, she attempts to help Alice (yes, Alice from wonderland; it's a crossover, remember) escape from his den, but alas, it is too late and the sadistic witch doctor catches her doing the deed. She, of course, argues with him and informs him that she did not agree to harming children. He, of course, expected her betrayal all along and has a little surprise prepared for her...

Well, I don't want to spoil the end, because I'm quite sure that it's pretty straight forward. On the other hand, the video's plot is absolute genius... I seriously smell some good fanfiction brewing. But anyway, other factors which also make this video so enjoyable are definitely the characters chosen and the amazing video editing techniques the user has manipulated. I love how she has used Doctor Facilier, despite the fact that I haven't seen The Princess & The Frog. Regardless of me not yet pleasuring myself through watching the film, I find that the character was quite appropriately used. I don't technically know how evil or villainous or malevolent he is, but there's something about his facial expressions that tell me he's a comedic/entertaining antagonist with a very dark side... kind of like
Hades from Hercules, who's pretty much a mix between the Devil and a used car salesman. They don't seem to be harmful, but deep down, they're basically douche bags... exceedingly dangerous douche bags. So yes, Facilier is a very fitting character for this kind of plot.

The colouring of the video also made me quite happy. I love the tone of brown/dark sepia the user has manipulated in order to capture the mood of the story, as well as her occasional use of red to compliment the brown colour. The red is mostly used as a colour for Esme's dress and eyes while she is dancing. I think this is generally because red is a very alluring and exceedingly eye-catching colour which is known to draw people in. The editor's use of red is quite understandable in reason of Esme using her dancing to draw in female victims for her beloved witch doctor.

The user also did well with her masking and cutting. She's picked all the right scenes and characters and has manipulated them to the point where the scenes appear as if they're from the same film. The song is also one of my favourite aspects of the video, as it compliments the violently joyous and masochistic mood conveyed through the characters.
Crush, Crush, Faint is a mashup of the songs Crush, Crush, Crush by Paramore and Faint by Linkin Park. What I liked about it's use in this vidlet is that it presents two different aspects. The Paramore side of the song conveys the emotional aspect of Esmeralda, which is practically a dream-like and naive point of view, whilst the Linkin Park side of the song conveys Facilier's perspective, which is that of violence and deceit. So, yes. The song is also epic win.

Anyway, I give this video
5 out of 5, just because it's got a solid plotline, great editing techniques involved and a good song used. I can actually watch it more than once and not get bored of it... I know, I say that about basically every video I review, but that's why they're my hand picked MVs!
Meh... anyway, here it is for you to judge:


Isn't Esmeralda hot? Anyway, the next MV post is coming right up... Like I promised.
Thanks for reading,
Nadine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment