Sunday, February 7, 2010

'The Regal Twelve' by Alexia Sinclair

Hello all! I'm feeling really bored and I don't have exceedingly serious homework to do (or I'm just not in the damn mood), so I've decided to update. The topic that today's post is going to be based on is a set of artworks that I've been a fan of for ages, but I haven't had the chance to properly express my love towards them.

They're a set of graphic images created by Alexia Sinclair called 'The Regal Twelve'. What she's done is that she's gathered twelve scandalous/infamous women in history and designed an artwork for each of them, telling their story through the symbolism in the images. I have read up on each womans story and I believe that Sinclair has done an awesome job in bringing these women back to life, especially for a more younger and modern generation, which I myself am apart of. But yeah, here they are:



'Eleanor of Aquitaine - The Eagle (1122-1204)'
The Eagle: means 'Eleanor'; presents a dopplganger effect
Pregnancy: The birth of her famous son, King Richard the Lionheart
Armor & sword: The manner in which her children turned out
Door: The entrance to her tomb
Coat of Arms: Family symbolism


'Boudica - The Celtic Queen (AD 26 - 61)'
Battlefield: Her triumph as a female warrior
Helmet & sword: Symbolism of Roman mockery and defeat
Horse: Her Famous Chariot
Body Paint: Celtic Tradition



'Cleopatra - The Seductress (69 - 30 BC)'
Snake: Her suicide
Wall Paintings: Egyptian Mythology
Scarab Beatles: They were used in Egyptian tradition to bejewel the bodies of the dead



'Olympias - The Sorceress (376 - 316 BC)'
Snakes: Symbolises the myth of how her son Alexander was concieved
Wind Blowing: Symbolises the God Zeus and his role in Alexander's existence
Golden Box: Symbolises her Husband, Philip



'Christina of Sweden - The Andgrogynous Queen (1926 - 1686)'
Bow & arrow: Her love of hunting and other male-based sports
The Mask: Represents the two different sides of her; The King and the Queen
Body paint & feathers: Symbolises the Goddess of the hunt, Artemis



'Elisabeth Bathory - The Countess of Blood (1560 - 1614)'
The Wolf: Represents the hunt for her next victims
Moon: Signifies her love of the night
The colour red: Bood lust and her supposed killings
The Castle: Her home and future prison



'Catherine the Great - The Enlightened Empress (1729 - 1796)'
The colour violet: Pride and vanity
The Quill: Her intelligence and illumination
The Icons: Her place amongst the greats



'Alexandra Romanov - The Last Czarina of Russia (1872 - 1918)'
Russian eggs (Faberges): The past luxuries of the Russian court; decadence
Forest setting: Where the Romanovs' remains were left after they were murdered
Jewel encrusted gown: Signifies the jewels that were sewn into their corsets at the time of the shooting
Stance & facial expression: The disappearance of her daughter, Anastasia


'Elizabeth I - The Virgin Queen (1533 - 1603)'
Chess board: Her life and the many obstacles she faced; The strategic political actions she took
Radiance: Symbolises her 'Virginity'
Orb & sceptre: Her role as queen; reminiscent of her portrait


'Isabella of Spain - The Catholic (1451 - 1504)'
Painting: Siginifies her Christianity; Cathedral setting
Rosary beads & Bible: Once again, her religion
Her stance: Religious fanaticism
Model of a ship: The expeditions she entrusted to Christopher Columbus
The red quill: Death; the Spainish Inquisition
Chili: Signifies the new world



'Agrippina - The Poisoness (AD 15 - 59)'
Her stance: Like a lioness, hence the inclusion of a lion
Mushroom: Her alleged use of a mushroom to poison Claudius
Lion: Also signifies Roman power and nobility
Arch: Roman civilisation



'Marie Antoinette - The Extravagant Queen (1755 - 1793)'
Slice of cake: The splendor and luxury of her life; decadence and excesses
Ballroom: French culture
Painting: The revolution which lead to Antoinette's demise; Napolean Bonaparte who took her place as emperor


I remember that the first one of these artworks I saw was the Catherine image, due to one of my good friends, Louisa, chosing to study her for a Modern History assessment. In her powerpoint she included that image, and I remember the whole class just gasping due to the sheer beauty of it.

Okay, so I've just talked about the symbolism in each one (or rather pin-pointed) but my favourites are certainly Isabella and Alexandra Romanov. The symbolism in them is just fantastic, specifically in the Romanov one. I liked how she used the Eggs to represent not only the luxuries of Russian nobility, but how it also led to the royal family's demise, which I found to be a very creative way to express the tragic story of the Tsar's downfall.

Anyway, these are a very lovely way to tell these womens' stories and to get people interested in the magic of history. If I could be bothered I would write a full paragraph about each woman's story, but sincerely, I can't. It's way too much effort.

Overall, Sinclair has done a great job in mixing traditional painting with digital design, but I, however, found myself least interested in Cleopatra. I don't know if it was the actual artwork or if the persona of Cleopatra never really interested me, but I think it may be the latter, due to the fact that the artwork actually is quite lovely and does represent Cleo as what she truly is... A tragic skank-face.

Anyway, I'm done for tonight. Thanks for reading and Till the next time.
Nadine xx

3 comments: