Thursday, March 4, 2010

MV of the week;

Second post today! I should really be studying, but I just can't concentrate... Sucks to be me, huh?

Anyway, as promised before, I have
finally decided to post my MV of the week and, let me tell you, it was quite a tough choice, as I had three pretty sensational vids to pick from... all made by the same user. DUN, DUN, DUN.

Okay, well, the user who's video I have chosen to review this week is named
catemonster and she(?) vids quite a variety of fandoms, including the likes of Lost, Harry Potter, Final Fantasy and many others. She's also an exceedingly skilled editor and to watch her videos is quite a delight for me.

Okay, so, the MV I have chosen out of all of
catemonster's splendid works is an... INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS fanvid!

As a few of you may know, I fell in love with this film after watching it! It was just so delightfully Tarantino. Violence, gore, black comedy, ingenious dialogue and not to mention that it's the guy's first war film
EVAR. But, anyway, in a nutshell: Quentin did good. He did damn good... as he usually does.

Well... back to the video: I sincerely apologise to those who want to see an MV purely made for the film, as it's not really a tribute to the film itself but more so, one of the characters. So... can you guess
which character?

No, you love-blinded, fan-girlish twats, it's not
Brad Pitt... It's Colonel Hans Landa! Who you ask? You know, the evil, S-S, Jew-hunting man who kept chugging milk. Yeah, that guy.

Landa has been described by Tarantino as probably the best character he's ever written, which is kind of cool, as he is my favourite character in the film... besides
Shoshanna, she's also pretty likeable.

This MV's purpose (I think) is to bring to life the character of Landa in a sort of satirical and ironic manner, yet at the same time, keep it quite relevent to the film's plotline and the original
eccentric nature of the character. The vid's concept really isn't all that hard. All you have to do is follow the song's lyrics (which match his demeanour quite well) and you'll figure out what the user is aiming to acheive... which is pretty much presenting the greif Landa brings to our Basterdised heroes.

Anyway, onto a more technical note, the MV is rather
rad as it shows the two sides of Landa through the colouring (well, that's how I interpret it). Full colour signifies Landa's persona from the outside, which is the charming, yet slightly quirky colonel. This is in contrast with the grayscale tone, which symbolises Landa's true identity as actually being a blood thirsty, psychotic and murdering scum... who also happens to be a Nazi.

The song is also an epicly epic addition to the video's... epicness.
Gives You Hell by The All American Rejects is pretty much about, yep, you guessed, making someone's life hell. Examples of the song's cohesion with the film's plot, is the fact that characters such as Shoshanna experience hell everytime they see Landa. Plus, these lyrics, I think, really go well with his character: But truth be told; I miss you. And truth be told; I'm lying. I firmly believe that that phrase catches Landa's different persepectives wonderfully!

Anyway, I give this vid
4.5 out of 5, due to the fact that I didn't really have much to write about it and that it is pretty short... But overall, a very well-made MV, which presents to the viewer a great description of Landa's character without entirely spoiling the film. I personally thought that Christoph Waltz played this character to perfection and that he definitely did not have the right to look that sexy as a middle-aged Nazi. Overall, I hope Waltz wins the Oscar on Monday and... here is the MV for your own viewing:


Anyway, thanks for reading and wish me luck in my exams! Over and out,
Nadine xx

1 comment:

  1. No mention of the Village of Nadine?!?!?
    I was going to watch IB today. So strange. We think alike. I scared now. Xmen moment? Bahaaa.

    I like the changing tones. And the flashes of video. Annnnnnd Colonel Hans Landa. He is my fav..ish.

    The German Hero and the Cinema owner kill each other, and they don't die.
    And they shoot everyones balls in the bar.
    And Brad Pitt tries to speak Italian. Love it.

    One of my fav films. I should buy it on dvd. NADINE! Add it to my list of things to buy, at Jb Hi Fi (LOL. That rhymed. I'm a shakespeare in the making!)

    I like the ending. Cute!

    You should find one with Stephen Fry. He is amazing.

    My essay is complete! With less than 10% of my battery remaining I said Adieu.
    xx

    ReplyDelete